Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman (1925-2008)

Paul Newman's death is sad news for the big world of movie/theater fans, and for the smaller world of Kenyonites. He was a gifted and generous individual, who managed to avoid all the Hollywood pitfalls and have both a successful acting career and a loving family life. Not to mention all the lives he has touched through his philanthropy.

I've never met him, but since he attended my alma mater and lived near my hometown for most of his later life, he was always on the corner of the radar screen, the kind of person you hope you might randomly run into at the gourmet market or at an alumni event. Kenyon has put up a nice tribute to him on its homepage.

I love the photo montage with the image that shows him goofing around with friends on the Peirce Hall stairs during a school dance weekend. How many hundreds of Kenyon students have had their photos taken there, or will in future? Enough have passed through that the stone stair treads are worn down. I always noticed those worn treads as I went up and down. I love that this photo shows that Mr. Newman was once just a regular college kid, with probably no idea of the great things he would go on to achieve. At that point in time, what did he expect to do with his life? Did his dreams of that age come true?

Condolences to the Newman family on their loss. And to Mr. Newman, a big Kokosing Farewell from your fellow alumni. You will be missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I took a few of those photos myself...