Thursday, September 10, 2009

That's no bull



I was an art history major, so I have a greater appreciation for out-there art than many people, but this is, um, interesting. To my eye it is a bull-like (also potentially a sheep or dog) sculpture with a giant meat cleaver splitting it in half from the front. The position of the cleaver kind of makes it look like it has eyes and even a trunk.

What does it mean? Is this some commentary on carnivorous habits, an evocation of butchering, or just a funny-looking table with leg-like legs and a meat cleaver embedded in the front? Is the presence of this public sculpture at a NJ government services complex a commentary on the bureaucratic process?

All I can say is that I'm intrigued and disturbed by this sculpture when I pass by from time to time. Adding to the incongruity is that smokers from this building are usually leaning on the thing in oblivion, like it's just some random wall or ledge. Don't you people realize you are leaning on an evocation of butchered meat?? It took several visits for me to get a shot of it all by itself.

No comments: