Wednesday, May 13, 2009

running on empty

So I had my long-awaited nerve-disrupting radiofrequency procedure Monday, and I'm sincerely hoping this is the last time I need to mention my heel. It's still a little sore from the procedure (and I've developed a whole new level of needle-phobia after that joyous medical experience), but the old pain seems to be gone. I'll try speed-walking and maybe even running on it in the next few weeks to see if it really worked, but for now, I'm letting it be and enjoying the painless ride.

After over 5 months of inactivity, and trying and failing to find some way to exercise without aggravating matters (and trying the 30-Day Shred but not progressing far toward shredded-ness due to inability to do push-ups), I've become discouraged about my ability to be athletic and fit. I want to run, but I'm also not sure running is a good sport for me. I like the freedom and sense of accomplishment I get from running, and oooooh do I envy the sleek bodies most runners seem to have, but I'll never be fast, I worry about getting hurt, and that burning chest-achy knee feeling will probably never be fun. Still, I've pushed on, trying to build up distance and endurance, trying to make my body change.

Walking is pleasant but just doesn't seem like enough to make significant changes in my snail-like metabolism or overall physique. It's been tried in the past, and while enjoyable, it's never made much difference, and right now I. Need. Difference. I am desperate for difference.

I have a lovely mountain bike out in my barn, which I would love to use, but over the past few years I've become phobic about riding it, and even more phobic about dismounting. I don't think I've ever regained my pre-pregnancy center of gravity since having kids, and being on the bike literally gives me vertigo now. (note: must get over this by the time we can take family bike rides).

Swimming would be great, but we don't belong to a pool or a Y, and we're not going to be joining any until we have a better chance of actually taking advantage of our membership on a semi-regular basis. Like, maybe in a few years when the kids are at the same school again? And maybe when they finally build that Y just up the street that's been planned for over 5 years and never built?

Then again, if intrepid author Jennifer Weiner could do a sprint triathlon and the Broad Street Run and live to blog about it, there's still hope for people like me who don't have that athletic physique and have never played sports outside of required P.E. classes. She is a machine! I've fantasized in the past about Broad Street, and I had real hopes for doing it this spring after I completed a 5-miler last Thanksgiving, but right now I'd be thrilled if I could run even one measly mile without re-injury.

Just one.

I promise I'll stop whining about exercise if I can get back in the saddle and at least do that again.

No comments: