Monday, October 20, 2008

Holding out for a hero

(YES, I like Bonnie Tyler and the Footloose soundtrack. I even have it on my iPod. Is there something wrong with that?!!)

I keep getting into conversations lately with people about the state of world affairs - well, American affairs, really. And while we don't all agree on politics, and I'm not even going to go there (here or anywhere else), a universal sentiment is that this will be a very interesting election day. And that we all want someone to step in there and save us from a plunging economy and subprime mortgage fallout and the disappearance of our 401Ks and stock portfolios and other financial security blankets. We may differ in who we think would best be our savior, but the desire for a savior is universal. Something's gotta give.

I just returned from a girls' night out with my neighbors at a BYOB near here. Let me tell you, I am a convert to the Pennsylvania BYOB cult. Bring your own wine, drink a ton of it, don't spend any money on pricey alcohol (because it's a bottle that's been hanging around the house awhile, which someone probably gave you as a host gift, meaning you never spent a cent on it). I had probably $30 worth of wine, but only paid $30 for my actual food. Which was excellent. The French onion soup was delicious. The chicken Marsala hit the spot. And any dessert named Chocolate Thunder is going to be well worth it.

So much for trying to behave myself this week. Maybe I should start my own BYOB in my office, just for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, politics... (am sighing). But I love wine! I'm always enthusiastic about wine!